We all love traveling. Not that it’s the only thing which gives you happiness. But it’s surely that one thing that gives you all the pleasure you crave throughout your life. The challenge arises when we have to balance it out with work. For someone following a digital nomad lifestyle, it’s very easy to work and travel simultaneously. However same can be difficult for any individual who is working on a conventional 9 to 5 job.
Earning a livelihood is equally important and it becomes tricky to travel when you have a 9 to 5 job. Or a business that requires your physical availability always. Finding out time to travel when you have to go to work every day is next to impossible. This is why we all end up daydreaming about our traveling goals and end up procrastinating.
Are you also willing to start a digital nomad lifestyle? If yes, then you are at the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss how you can work and travel simultaneously. I will tell you how to adopt a digital nomad lifestyle so that you can travel and earn money at the same.
Since I myself started my nomad journey 2 years back, I’ll try to put all the information in this article so that you can understand everything about it. So, what are you waiting for, get ready and start your traveling journey from now.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Digital Nomadism
Digital Nomadism is the simple process of using technology that can help you to work remotely from anywhere while you are traveling. This includes working from home, freelancing, online business, etc with the help of the internet. This lifestyle enables you the flexibility of work as you can choose your working hours according to your traveling plans.
For example: – Thailand is a very hot country and during my holidays there, traveling during the daytime was extremely difficult due to the humidity. Also, the nightlife of Thailand is very popular. I observed that people rest or work during the daytime between 1 PM to 4 PM and enjoy the local sightseeing and other adventures during the early morning or late evening. I followed the same schedule for a few days myself and observed improved productivity and better efficient and effective utilization of my time.
This flexibility of choosing the working hours and feasibility of traveling and working at the same time is what we call digital nomadism.
What Is a Digital Nomad Lifestyle?
Digital Nomad Lifestyle is nothing but traveling and working remotely as a professional, freelancer, or online businessman anytime, anywhere. This lifestyle is ideal for those people who want to work flexibly and enjoy traveling at the same time.
Digital nomadism offers endless freedom. Working from any location and setting your hours allows for the flexibility that many seek while creating an income without being tied down by traditional 9-5 jobs. When needed, simply pack up and travel freely as work disappears behind you and discoveries await.
If you are planning to start living a digital nomad lifestyle, below are a few things that you must consider.
- First and foremost is having access to reliable internet everywhere you travel – this will serve as your lifeline when working remotely from remote areas.
- Make sure that you have all living arrangements and amenities to travel and work at the same time. An Airbnb or hostel can be a better choice.
- Bear in mind this lifestyle might not suit everyone; remember it can sometimes be lonely at times. Building a strong personality is always helpful.
- Self-discipline is also required to ensure that you achieve your professional goals as well while traveling.
Embark upon a digital nomad lifestyle today if it seems right for you. With some planning and preparation, you can enjoy all its rewards.
Pros and Cons of Becoming a Digital Nomad
Digital nomadism has grown increasingly popular over recent years as more individuals seek a lifestyle that marries work and travel together. While this lifestyle offers several advantages, its drawbacks must also be considered carefully.
Greater Freedom and Flexibility
Being a digital nomad provides you with great freedom and flexibility at maximum. You can work from anywhere, anytime at your convenience. You could opt to live somewhere cheaper or travel constantly as part of your career plan.
Digital Nomad Travel Experience New Cultures Directly
Being a digital nomad provides an amazing opportunity to experience different cultures directly, something which can prove both personally and professionally advantageous.
Attract an International Professional Network
When traveling and working simultaneously, the world becomes your oyster in terms of meeting people from diverse cultures and expanding your professional network to benefit your career goals.
Maintaining focus can be challenging
Moving locations regularly makes it more challenging to stay on task with work; plus, it may be easy to be distracted by new sights and experiences as a digital nomad.
This is one of the primary drawbacks of being a solo digital nomad. While you will surely meet hundreds of people during your travel, feeling isolated and away from your friends and family is a real feeling. It is always good to find ways to connect with your friends and family while you are living away from them. This will surely help you find more emotional stability.
Start Working as a Digital Nomad: What Should Be My Approach?
Digital nomadism has become an increasingly popular way of working and traveling simultaneously, yet how do you begin this lifestyle? Below are a few key pointers:
- Assemble an accurate picture of yourself. Determine your skills and interests that could prove useful to others.
- Find companies and clients interested in what you offer.
- Create a portfolio to demonstrate your abilities and experience.
- Remain connected while out and about with an easy laptop and mobile internet access solution.
- Stay organized and effectively manage your time so you can meet both work and travel obligations simultaneously.
- Using Top 10 Travel Apps for Seamless Trip Planning & Exploration can surely make your task easy.
Tips to Balance Working and Traveling Simultaneously
Assuming that you work as a freelancer from a remote location. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind to create a balance between work and traveling simultaneously.
- As soon as you arrive at your destination, be aware of any time zone differences with clients or employers based in other locations; this will enable you to plan when to be available for meetings or calls. In addition, setting a daily or weekly schedule that you adhere to helps stay on schedule with deadlines while having an enjoyable journey.
- Make sure that you have an active and reliable working internet connection always. While it’s easy to connect your laptop to a mobile hotspot for smaller tasks. Working on heavier tasks requires a huge amount of data hence you should invest in a data card that supports unlimited internet access.
- You can also use open Wi-Fi available in local coffee shops or libraries all around the world. While these connections are free, always ensure that the connection is safe and reliable. Using a good VPN can be a good idea to prevent your identity and data while surfing using an open network.
- Stay flexible and patient with yourself. Things may arise that alter your work schedule unexpectedly; whether that means last-minute sightseeing opportunities or lengthy layovers. Just remember that one of the beauties of working from anywhere is having the freedom to change up plans as needed.
Essential Gear for Digital Nomads
Just a laptop and Internet connection is enough for a digital nomad to work from anywhere at any time. However, it is always advised to carry a few essential gears which will make your journey smoother. A list of all such essential gears is listed below.
- Travel Backpack: Your equipment requires an appropriately comfortable backpack that offers ample room to carry all the supplies that make up a trip while providing compartments and pockets to organize everything properly.
- Laptop: Every person working online requires a reliable laptop that’s light and portable enough to carry easily. Make sure you invest in high-quality devices so they can always accompany you wherever life may lead you.
- Mobile Hotspot: Staying connected even in areas with limited or no Wi-Fi can be invaluable for work as well as keeping in contact with family and friends back home. A portable wireless network (or hotspot) will ensure uninterrupted communications on the go, providing invaluable connectivity even in unfavorable environments such as hotels. Investing in a universal data card can also be a smart and budget-friendly option since you can use any local sim card with it.
- Noise-canceling headphones: When working in noisy public places or traveling on noisy trains or planes, noise-canceling headphones are a great way to concentrate while staying focused on what matters – be that work, music listening, or relaxing to movies. Also, they make perfect companions on flights or long-distance train or bus travel.
- Power strips and adapters: Make sure that you invest in high-quality power strips and adapters so you can charge all of your devices simultaneously, in any country where you will travel. Make sure they comply with local power requirements too.
- Power Banks are Mandatory: Smartphones nowadays are used for multiple purposes such as work, entertainment, clicking pictures, making payments online, navigation, etc. The power consumption of smartphones has also increased due to the same reason. Investing in a good and heavy power bank will make sure that your phone is always alive and can be recharged anytime anywhere till you find the next charging point.
Reducing Resilience for Long-Term Travel
Long-term travel might sound incredible to most of us, and indeed it can be. Yet planning such an amazing venture requires a lot of effort.
Maintaining your health and well-being while being on the move is one of the major aspects of being a digital nomad. If you are unaccustomed to living in an unfamiliar environment, you’ll often end up being physically and mentally drained out.
Because resilience can make all the difference during travel, it is important that you strengthen it before departing on any adventure. By taking steps now to strengthen both physical and mental well-being, you will be better suited to handle whatever comes your way when on travels abroad. Here are a few strategies for building resilience during long-term travel:
- Get in Shape: Being physically fit while traveling can make any physical activity much more enjoyable, like hiking and cycling, easier, as it enables your body to recover quicker after any bumps and bruises occur. Start increasing your activity levels now to ensure that your body becomes strong enough to survive when you start traveling.
- Build Up Your Immunity: Travel can expose you to various germs and bacteria. To stay healthy while traveling, stay current on vaccinations as well as supplement regimens designed to strengthen immunity systems.
- Practice Mindfulness: While this might sound a bit strange but practicing mindfulness meditation can surely help you become more alert and mentally stable. This will surely help you during the traveling journey as you will remain calmer and, in the moment.
Alternatives to Digital Nomad Lifestyle
There are various alternatives to living the digital nomad lifestyle. A few of them are listed below.
- Working remotely without traveling by finding an office job or starting your own online business.
- Travel slowly without working by finding location-independent work such as freelance writing and photography or
- By finding jobs with frequent travel opportunities like flight attendant or aid worker roles – are two options worth exploring as alternatives to digital nomadism.
Digital nomadism is an emerging trend that allows individuals to work and travel at the same time. Anyone, with enough preparation and an adaptable attitude, can become a digital nomad and experience flexible working hours combined with life on the road.
By researching what it entails and finding ways to finance travel while upholding your professional status while away, working remotely can be a highly satisfying experience – why wait for another second if this lifestyle appeals? Get going today and take your career journey as far as it will takes you.